Views: 175,054 /
Created: June 1, 2007
When installing Windows XP on a system with hard drive controllers not natively supported one or more of the following may be encountered:
* Note: If you system only contains Intel controllers see:
- New PC doesn't have a floppy drive.
- Floppy drive is not functioning properly.
- Drivers for controller shipped on a CD.
- You don't want to press the F6 key during your installation.
Installing SATA Drivers without a Floppy Disk (Intel Only) (TTID #414)
Please do not post these instructions on any other site. I put a lot of time into getting these to work properly. Link to this article instead using this URL:
Caution: Windows Vista PE discs do NOT natively support the SiI 3112 Controller. Do not attempt using a DISKPART script from a USB drive. You may format the USB drive instead of the intended hard drive.
These instructions will add support for the following:
- Intel 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller
- Intel 631xESB/632xESB SATA RAID Controller
- Intel 82801GHM SATA RAID Controller
- Intel ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller
- Intel 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller
- Promise SATAII150 TX2plus IDE Controller
- Promise SATAII150 TX4 IDE Controller
- Promise SATAII150 579 IDE Controller
- Promise SATA300 TX2plus IDE Controller
- Promise SATA300 TX4 IDE Controller
- Promise SATA300 779 IDE Controller
- Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller
- Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATARaid Controller
- ATI 436E Serial ATA Controller
- ATI 4379 Serial ATA Controller
- ATI 437A Serial ATA Controller
The following items are required:
- A copy of the original Windows CD/DVD or ISO.
- A copy of the Boot Files (Downloaded Below).
- A minimum of 1GB available hard disk space for CD's.
A minimum of 5GB available hard disk space for DVD's.
Create a folder called OS on your hard drive (C: is used in this example).
In this folder create two sub-folder called BOOT, and ROOT.
Copy the entire Windows XP SP2 CD (or extract the ISO) into folder ROOT.
|Drivers (Part 1)|
1.) Download Drivers. (sata-drivers.zip ~466KB).
2.) Create the folder structure C:\OS\ROOT\$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS.
3.) Extract the file from sata-drivers.zip into the folder C:\OS\ROOT\$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS.
|Drivers (Part 2)|
1.) Download Drivers. (sata-i386.zip ~668KB).
2.) Extract the file from sata-i386.zip into the folder C:\OS\ROOT\i386.
|WINNT.SIF - Unattended Script|
I won't make you suffer through listening to me ramble on about SIF files.
Simply create a new text file named WINNT.SIF in i386 folder.
Should be C:\OS\ROOT\i386\WINNT.SIF
Paste the following into it:
Edit the follwing in the [UserData] section:
- Enter the ProductKey in place of xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.
- Enter the ComputerName in place of WorkStation.
- Enter the FullName in quotes.
- Enter the OrgName in quotes.
Open TXTSETUP.SIF using your favorite text editor.
Should be C:\OS\ROOT\i386\TXTSETUP.SIF
Paste the following into to [SourceDisksFiles] section:
Paste the following into to [HardwareIdsDatabase] section:
Paste the following into to [SCSI.Load] section:
Paste the following into to [FileFlags] section:
Paste the following into to [SCSI] section:
Open DOSNET.INF using your favorite text editor.
Should be C:\OS\ROOT\i386\DOSNET.INF
Paste the following into the [FloppyFiles.1] section:
Paste the following into the [Files] section: