2ndQuadrant is happy to announce the release of Barman 1.0. Barman (backup and recovery manager) is an open source administration tool for disaster recovery of PostgreSQL servers written in Python for Linux systems.
It allows remote backups of multiple Postgres servers in business critical environments and helps database administrators during the recovery phase.
Barman's most wanted features include backup catalogues, retention policies, remote recovery, archiving and compression of WAL files and backups.
Built on top of PostgreSQL's robust and reliable Point-In-Time-Recovery technology, Barman allows database administrators to manage the backup and recovery phases of several PostgreSQL database servers from a centralised location, using an intuitive command interface.
"We are developing more and more projects with Open Source technologies and one of the challenges is to find high quality solutions for our services" - says Marco Betti, Architecture Engineer at CSI Piemonte - "We found in Barman the optimal solution for physical backup and disaster recovery of PostgreSQL databases. Barman is robust and easy to use. Its command interface allows an easy integration with the existing management tools in our enviroment".
Laura Passigni of Navionics, the leading company in electronic charts, says that "Barman is an easy to use, yet effective solution, the perfect companion for the migration of our database from Oracle to PostgreSQL".
Version 1.0 of Barman, distributed under GNU GPL 3, includes:
- Full hot physical backup of a PostgreSQL server
- Management of multiple PostgreSQL servers
- Management of base backups and WAL files through a catalogue
- Remote backup of a PostgreSQL server
- Compression of WAL files (bzip2, gzip or custom)
- Point-In-Time-Recovery (PITR)
- Remote and local recovery of a backup for a PostgreSQL server
- Relocation of PGDATA and tablespaces at recovery time
- "ssh" support for remote operations
- "rsync" over "ssh" support for file synchronisation and transfers
- Server status and information
- Integration with standard archiving tools (e.g. "tar")
- Local storage of metadata
- A simple INI configuration file
- General and disk usage information of backups
- Server diagnostics for backup
- RPM package
You can find more information on Barman at www.pgbarman.org.
The development of Barman by 2ndQuadrant Italia has been made possible through the contributions of our founding sponsors CSI Piemonte, GestionaleAuto, Navionics and XCon. Barman has also been partially funded through 4Caast, a research project of the European Commission's Seventh Framework programme.
- Download PostgreSQL
- View Press Release
- Visit PostgreSQL